Leaving on a Jet Plane

I promise this blog action will be more consistent when I actually MOVE… life in Troy is pretty tame. I am down to 9 sleeps at home before I jet off to lovely Abu Dhabi. Now I am in the silly planning stages of my trip… loading up my iPod with books and playlists to entertain me for the 16 hours in the sky. Soooooo, herein lies my travel playlist. It is not 16 hours long. I have enough ADD to need many forms of stimulus on the coming trip. This playlist I’ll listen to, pause, and resume as the journey continues. I love music. If you know me, you know that… it’s always on around me, and it has a way of relaxing me. I have taken the time (if only you knew how long) to explain each song and it’s place in my list. I don’t expect you to get it… just be enlightened a little. Please check out a song if you are interested… youtube/iTunes, whatever your poison.


Come back and check out my blog again. It will grow, and be much more interesting than chilled life in Troy.


OK… the picks are, drumroll please…


Solsbury Hill: Peter Gabriel

Guess I’m shaking the tree in more than one way. This song always makes me smile and feel better. Something about the song is eternally hopeful and optimistic. “I will show another me… today I don’t need a replacement… my heart going boom, boom, boom…” Pretty sure when that airplane takes off it’ll be more than three booms I’ll hear. I’ll keep you posted.


Eskimo: Damien Rice

Anywhere I go… no matter the distance or the journey, Damien Rice takes me there. Something about his sound and his soothing nature. While most would consider his voice rough around the edges, something about that raw tone comforts me… so when my plane is swooping over the lovely Atlantic Ocean, I will be looking to be soothed and comforted. “Rain it wets muddy roads/ I find myself exposed/ Tapping doors, but irritate/ In search of destination/ Harder now with higher speed.”


To the Dogs or Whoever: Josh Ritter

Ok… no lyrics in this song make sense in a moving playlist when you look at them closely but… I had this song on my ipod when I most recently drove across the country (countries, really) and it’s a song that makes me think of change and movement. Isn’t that what this coming adventure is all about? Ok so… if I must choose at least one line to highlight… let’s go with “said I love the way the wind comes a-tickling my knees”.


Side: Travis

This song reminds me of living in Valleyview and being away from home and starting something new. It’s also the song that led to me falling a little in love with Travis… the band, not a man. This song is all about seeing what you have, loving it, and welcoming new things when or if they come to you. So… it makes the list. Especially with lyrics like this: “We all try hard to live our lives in harmony/ For fear of falling swiftly overboard/ But life is both a major and minor key/ Just open up the chord.


Fix You: Coldplay

Weird pick eh? Well… sometimes I’m weird. I think this song leads you to think of hope for happier times and rising above any challenges (or earth shattering events) that come your way. My twist though… sometimes you have to fix yourself and not wait for others to do that for you…. Would be nice though… “When you get what you want, but not what you need/ When you feel so tired, but you can't sleep” Also how I think I will feel upon arrival. HA.


The Mary Ellen Carter: Stan Rogers

This is the ultimate inner strength song. It’s got it all, underdog, hope beyond rationality, love, pride and loyalty. And the good guys win. Isn’t that perfect. I also play it in my classroom quite often and it makes me think about teaching. Not sure I’ll play it in AD upon arrival but, it’s a song and a story I will carry with me. “And you, to whom adversity has dealt the final blow/ With smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go/ Turn to, and put out all your strength of arm and heart and brain/ And like the Mary Ellen Carter, rise again.” ALSO… it’s a Cape Breton tune, and I have to have one of those with me on the move…


Walk on the Wild Side: Lou Reed

OK, I am not planning on a self metamorphosis where gender gets bent but, I love the way this song opens up the possibility of all that can be… all that is out there for someone to go get for themselves. It’s all hinged on taking a chance and making a move. You can do that in your own little town, or you can get on a plane and cross the ocean. I chose the latter… it doesn’t make it more powerful. But, change is coming… “You should have seen him go go go/They said, hey sugar, take a walk on the wild side.”


Sitting: Cat Stevens

Ironically, pre-Islamic Cat makes the cut, and no Yusaf on the list…. Hmmmm. I love this song. I know, I know, I love every song on this list BUT, this one is all about making a move and grabbing on to life with two hands and giving it the best smooooch it’s ever had. I think life and I are pretty tight right now… so, this song is a must. “Oh I'm on my way, I know I am, somewhere not so far from here/ All I know is all I feel right now, I feel the power growing in my hair/ Sitting on my own not by myself, everybody's here with me/ I don't need to touch your face to know, and I don't need to use my eyes to see.”


A Million Dollars: Joel Plaskett

Good one for leaving… this one is about the reverse of the journey… kinda more about what I am leaving behind. But, at its heart, it’s more about what you’re doing and how to enjoy it to the utmost along the way. Also, something about Joel Plaskett just makes me want to smile and love that 4 minute musical journey… “Let's forget about all our friends and family/ Let's forget about all our lovers, enemies/ Let's go out when the sun goes down/ Let's wrestle this city to the ground.”


On the Radio: Regina Spektor

I first heard Regina Spektor on a soundtrack so this is fitting. She is amazing… her voice is unique and her lyrics are not predictable. Put that together and you have someone I love listening to and who plays a role in my lifelong soundtrack. This song has a verse that gets me smiling AND singing at the top of my voice. I’ll spare the person beside me my melodic styling but… I’ll sing it in my head. “This is how it works/You're young until you're not/ You love until you don't/ You try until you can't/ You laugh until you cry/ You cry until you laugh/ And everyone must breathe/ Until their dying breath.”


All These Things That I Have Done: The Killers

These guys are killah… I love them. Tough to pick one song by them. I could easily pick entire albums but… ok, ok, one song per band minimum is enforced forthwith. Why this song? Well… I love their sound, his voice gets to me, the sound is infectious, and the lyrics entertain me. “If you can hold on, hold on/ I wanna stand up, I wanna let go/ You know, you know - no you don't, you don't/ I wanna shine on in the hearts of men/ I wanna mean it.”


Hallelujah Here She Comes: U2

Ok, try being a massive U2 fan and narrowing it down to one pick... just one pick. Let’s go with the obscure choice that I love. This song is one that I go to at times when I want a smile and I’m looking for an upbeat kick. This song reminds me of the end of the school year, correcting exams, and writing report cards. Now, I know, none of that sounds riveting but... throw a song like this in the mix and all those tasks seem a bit brighter... “I see the road is rough/ You know I'm not giving up/ Hallelujah here she comes.” Abu Dhabi, here I come.


Goodbye Song: Abandoned Pools

This is a band I happened upon a few years ago and I love their sound. The song title is fitting, to a degree… it’s not really a goodbye though. A mere see you soon. “I'm busting at the seams/ To tell you everything/ And it's scaring me/ Cause nothing's sure/ And nothing makes sense anymore.” Nothing is sure at this point. I hope the plane lands, I hope I am happy, and I hope it all works for the best. Ahhhh, a girl can dream huh?


Englishman in New York: Sting

Or, as it is less commonly known as, Cape Bretoner in Abu Dhabi. Not funny? Sorry… this song is all about being in a foreign land with customs and traditions that are not your own surrounding you. While there, it’s tough to remember your own ways. I’m not worried… “If, "Manners maketh man" as someone said/ Then he's the hero of the day/ It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile/ Be yourself no matter what they say.” So, the good news, I am prepared to smile…


After the Rain: Blue Rodeo

Every playlist for travel I have ever made has had a Blue Rodeo contribution. This one is no different. This is one of those bands that sticks with you… their distinctive sound and smart lyrics get in my head and ramble around in there. Ever since their song “Lost Together” was my grad song Blue Rodeo has been key in my musical journey. Here’s to another road trip boys… “Oh If I was a train/ I would never slow down/ with my head in the sky/ and the world going by.”


Run: Snow Patrol

I will think about those I am leaving behind, and I am reminded to keep them in my heart and my head. This song makes me think… and it makes me feel. Two qualities every soundtrack should have. Sometimes it makes me sad but, I think in this criteria and company of songs, I’ll make this one a reminder… “Light up, light up/ As if you have a choice/ Even if you cannot hear my voice/ I'll be right beside you dear.”


Don’t Look in Their Eyes: Stabilo

Another band where I could pick at least three other songs… ? was the runner up. But, I like the bravado in this song… I’ll need some courage when I land. I also like that this song makes me feel that I have an army looking out for me. Even if I am an army of one. “Sound the alarms/ throw up your arms/ we brought the entire army/ and we're starving so don't try anything smart.” Can I share that with the airport personnel? Oh wait, that will land me in jail for sure… my sense of humour might not transcend borders.


Little Bit of Red: Serena Ryder

Serene Serena… she should be heard by all. She will be heard by me as I cross the lovely deep blue see… little bit of red to balance the hours of blue. She sounds confident and self assured in this song. Two things I need to remember to be on this journey. But vulnerable, one thing I have to remind myself it’s ok to be. Patience on this trip… Also, this song pushes you out of your comfort zone… the world isn’t about black and white, it’s the shades in between and the shots of colour that count. “Oh baby blue oh baby blue/come here I'm gonna smear another colour over you/get out of bed you little sleepy head your black/ and white needs a little bit of red/ your black and white needs a little bit of red.”


Bottle it Up: Sara Bareilles

Sweet voice and a pretty piano sound make this song catchy and kitschy. It’s kinda what I am not going for… not planning on bottling much up for the next couple of years (or more). But, I am planning on loving lots… what a way to be. My grandmother always said “to thine own self be true” (shout out to Mr. Shakespeare) and this screams that in volumes… “I am aiming to be somebody that somebody trusts with her delicate soul/ I don't claim to know much except soon as you start to make room for the parts/ That aren't you, it gets harder to bloom in a garden of love, love, love, love/ Love, love, love, love.”


Heart Songs: Weezer

The Weeze... gotta have the Weeze on this list. I guess this one wraps up the list as a whole. Kinda the bow on top. More of a knot... Can’t say Weezer wants to be likened to a bow in too many ways. This entire song sums up what’s to love about music; ranging from its cheesiest to its ultimate. I obviously am closely connected to the musical influences in my life... you’re reading this playlist because it exists... “These are my heart songs/ They never feel wrong/ And when I wake/ For goodness sake/ These are the songs/ I keep singin'.”


Lucky: 7 Mary 3

Let’s hope I am... This song reminds me of a time when I lived in New Hampshire. I used to walk down to the lake and listen to this entire cd. Wait, you have to imagine a time with no ipods, no playlists, and you didn’t burn cds... you listened to entire purchased ones. This was my favourite song on this album, and that’s huge considering Times Like These is on there too. “scrawled on the pavement/ It says: Son, time is all the Luck you need.”


Life By the Drop: Stevie Ray Vaughan

No “drop” necessary in my life. However, I enjoy the allusions to the bonds of friendship and its ability to survive. Sure, SRV might have been talking about addictions, I’m talking about distance between friends and the assurance that my true ones will always be there. “Up and down the road in our worn out shoes/ Talkin' 'bout good things and singin' the blues/ You went your way and I stayed behind/ We both knew it was just a matter or time.”


The Commander Thinks Aloud: The Long Winters

Goodbye sweet, sweet long winter. I might want to see you in a couple of years but, not in the near future! This song is perfect for me… I know it’s about space shuttles crashing. But, I am not taking a space shuttle to Abu Dhabi and I have some comfort in this. This is a song that will make me feel relaxed and ready for a sleep on the flight… without dreams of falling out of the sky. “Still your face is young/ As we feel our weight return/ Yeah yeah/ A trail of shooting stars/ The horses call of storm/ Because the air contains the charge.”


The World Ain’t Slowing Down: Ellis Paul

This might be my theme song… “You packed up all your handbags/ Throwing off the sandbags/ I let go and you stepped free/ I didn't want to loose you/ You said, "You didn't choose to/ It's just how your karma came."/ But thanks for the vision/ And the twenty-twenty wisdom/ It hit me like a south-bound train.” The world ain’t slowing down… true words from Mr. Paul. Time to go out and see it all head on.


Furr: Blitzen Trapper

A new found love of mine… happy to have been introduced to these guys. I love a song that tells a story and takes the listener on a trip without leaving the room. That’s what this song is for me… a place to go and fall into. It’s now a song in my favourites section on iTunes and it makes every mixed cd I compile for friends. “And I've been quickly ushered in/ To a world that I confess I do not know/ But I still dream of running careless through the snow/ An' through the howlin' winds that blow.”


If you made it to here reading, I am impressed... let me know who you are.

Joyous

Comments

  1. I made it to the end of the list and I am sure this is NOT a surprise to you but I only knew 3 artists!! Nonetheless, each description prodded me to think perhpas I should check some of these songs out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I thought I would add something to your Cold Play "Fix You" song that is also one of my favs.... When i was at Coldplay about a month ago now (ahh.. i can still remember the sounds that actually sounded amazing in the "dome and Chris singing and playing.. Anyways) Chris Martin said that he wrote that song for his wifey (Gwen) after her dad died, and I like the song before, but after i heard that, i loved the song. I totally understood the premise he was getting at of trying or wishing to help fix someone that is sad and in a funk and there is nothing really you can do... Anyways, i agree, great song. Almost always brings a tear to my eye...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts