Three countries, three continents, and nineteen hours... easy.

I really don't know where to start... truly. Here I am... it's 10:53 Saturday night in Abu Dhabi. I am currently wrapped up in a plush robe after a much deserved (ok, needed) shower in my HOTEL room. I will be living in a hotel until my apartment is ready. Considering it was supposed to be ready in May, I am not worried. Plus, this hotel might be the nicest space I have ever graced (here's the link: http://www.cristalhotelsandresorts.com/). There are 14 other teachers staying here and it is complete luxury. I am now officially spoiled. Hello, grapes (other fruits too but I love the grapes) and desserts waiting for me in the room, someone actually carried my bags to my room, I mean, the phones (there are 3) say Welcome Ms. Ashford... people aren't always that nice!

Ok, enough on the room, it's freaking amazing, enough said...

The journey... Well, after my last blog entry I went to Legends of Nova Scotia pub near my departure gate and settled in for a beer and time with my journal. I thought it would be my last Keiths for, ummm, about a year. So I ponied up to the bar, opened my journal and sipped two Keiths while waiting the 1.5 hours for my departure. While sipping and writing a fellow traveler sat beside me... a Scottish guy returning home to Aberdeen for his cousin's wedding, kilt in tow. He was chatty after his first pint and really chatty after his second pint. I'm a sucker for accents too. Nice guy... bought me a third Keiths (the gluttony!) and we figured out we were on the same flights to Montreal and then on to London. Good thing too... because he helped me through Heathrow... Now... let's talk about Heathrow. They all say "world's busiest international airport" but what they don't say is that Terminals 1-3 look like numerous bombs have gone off. Then you hit Terminal 5 (which I did handily thanks to guide Scottish Andy) and it's like you have entered the nicest mall in the world... Harrods, Jo Malone, Chanel, etc. etc. Of course, I had 10 min to make it to my gate. Damn scheduling gods.

Left London (with 5 hours sleep) and made my way to Abu Dhabi. I was at the very back of the plane and I have decided I like that spot. The guy beside me was from England but he's been working in AD for 12 years so this is home for him. The tourism department should hire this guy... he loves it! So that made me feel good. I slept for about 3 hours on that flight and then spent the next 4 gawking out the window. I wish you all could have seen me... I journaled a little more so I'd capture ALL my random thoughts... As the European terrain yielded to the Asian geography my mouth gaped a little more... the Zagros Mountains in Iran and Iraq... stunning. And completely without green. The Tigris River snaking down to Baghdad, seeing Mesopotamia in all it's glory from a bird's eye view and realizing how minor a person can be... in a good way. I can't put it in words right. But trust me when I say I will never forget those moments and that awareness.

Then I landed. The sun had set at this point and all Abu Dhabi was to me was lights and roads. Wonderfully illuminated turnabouts! The airport is small and the architecture is utterly unique. The young man at customs didn't agree with my assessment of the airport... he thinks it's crap compared to Dubai; I told him I have no frame of reference for that statement. He laughed... The people are very friendly... not that I thought they would be hostile. But, if anything, I think locals are amused by newcomers. Hey, I was the girl gawking on the airplane... I earned the amusement.

My principal and her husband met us at the airport and ushered myself and 6 other teachers to our temporary residence (aka the freaking amazing hotel).

And here I sit. Trying to be tired but too overwhelmed and stimulated to find sleep. Yet, I'll go looking for it.

Pictures to come tomorrow.

And yes, I was a little sad, I mean, I cried at Ghosts of Girlfriends Past on the airplane. You know, the Romantic COMEDY...

Thinking of all my wonderful friends and family... I hope to get to show every one of you around here someday.

Comments

Popular Posts