Ramadan Kareem!

I am terribly sorry for the three day delay... didn't know some of you read this so religiously!

I just picked up my laundry from the dry cleaners across the road. I told my mom I never needed to know how to iron! What else? Hmmm... OK, let's do this in order...

Thursday night myself and two friends, Talia and Sarah, met up with some other random expats to go to the Shangri-La hotel for the buffet supper. Now, please take all previous conceptions of a buffet and remove them from your mind, because NOTHING has you prepared for this food or the grandeur of the dining area. Nothing. I should have known what I was in for when they valeted our car. Ok, here is the link to the hotel so you can at least have a visual as I ramble on: http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/abudhabi/shangrila/details. We had a table of ten and we dined on everything from sushi (not me) to lobster (me). Us newbies were ill-advised on how to tackle the buffet. Mr. Couch, expat tour guide extrordinaire, later informed us after his third trip up: numerous small servings with breaks in between. Silly us. The food was amazing; excellent curry and meats and fish and the desserts were... heaven. I know some of you like chocolate and I know some of you love chocolate fountains. Well, this one had three fountains, one milk, one dark, and one white chocolate and you had seemingly endless choices of dippers. I opted for the crepe station for dessert... stuffed with chocolate and ice cream. I'm now hungry. Wonderful. Once we finished eating at Shangri-La, we took a "buggy" (extended golf cart) to the nearby souk because that's where the bar was. Now, the bar we went to was called the Left Bank. Now, prior to this experience, my Abu Dhabi clubbing as consistent of a smoky pub in the basement of a hotel. I was now in unfamiliar waters: http://www.emiratesleisureretail.com/Brands/LeftBank.aspx. Nice place, and when it's not 50 degrees out I'll go back so I can sit on the deck and look at the Grand Mosque while I am enjoying the company of my friends. As it was, inside, smoky, and packed, plus the a/c could not keep up with the travel between in and out, I will not be rushing back. Still, an adventure. My cab ride home with friends ended that night.

Friday. I went shopping. I bought a pair of gold sandals, and 4 dress shirts, two black, two white. Do you sense a theme? Yes. We went to the Al Wadha Mall (http://www.alwahda-mall.com/home.aspx) and I think it's my new favourite... well, I have only been to two. This was a unique experience though. I was there during the call to prayer. Well the prayer room was full to overflowing so they were laying mats, and I mean LARGE mats, on the floor for remaining muslims. As it happens qiblah was in the direction of me going to Banana Republic... can you see how surreal this all is at some points?! When I came out of BR (with some lovely gold sandals) the lady working suggested I walk the other way as to not be oncoming to those praying. It was, well, unique to say the least.

After shopping, I am not ashamed to admit I took a nap. I still find it hot here. Not unbearable but taxing. If that makes sense. Then I went back to the Marina Mall to meet a friend there... here's an interesting story (sidenote: I got to the mall by the hotel driver... cabs are for non-VIPs. HA).

While waiting for my friend I sat outside of a coffee shop with my iced chai tea latte... I was sitting in an area of 4 leather club chairs and on either side of me was a group of Emiratis, to the left, 4 young ones, and to the right, 2 older ones. Well one of the older ones called to me that he would like to buy me a coffee. I politely refused, as (1) I already had my drink and (2) I do not drink coffee without Baileys in it. At this point my friend called me to say he would be 10 minutes late. When I put my cell down (mobile, ha), the Emirati came over and sat down beside me. He said he was being very forward but, he wanted to say hello... the conversation went on to include Ramadan, teaching, the area, and how woman should be treated. He then picked up my cell phone and put his own number in it and told me I could always call him. I like to think he didn't have me lopped in with the idea that all western women are whorish. But... who knows. Still, it was my first sit down conversation with a "local" and it was interesting. Here's a bit of good advice he told me: A bad date should be made to buy me lobster and wine, and a good date should want to buy me lobster and wine. I just had lobster so I am quite happy with wine. So, Fahad, Mr. Abu Dhabi, I will not be calling you, but thanks for the pearl of wisdom.

Saturday was a blissfully relaxing day. Some napping, tv watching, and a trip to the Tacky Mall (we renamed the Madinat Zayed Shopping Centre this) for groceries. Last night I socialized in another teacher's room and crawled into bed at 11, having enjoyed my weekend thoroughly.

It's Ramadan people, no public consumption of ANY kind. So I am currently sitting in my room having lunch (hummus and pita)... and it's a work day. We dismiss at 1 most days this week, with no work on Thursday. Yay long weekend!

I am happy to report I am still loving it. I am even figuring out some roads -ok, I am nowhere near ready to not get lost but, I am getting a sense of direction. My school is wonderful and my schedule is amazing. I am not sure I'll ever be able to return to western life... I think you are all overworked now. Or, maybe I am the epitome of lazy and I just found my niche. Maybe.

I'll be more dilligent on the updates. Maybe not on weekends but... hey, you get it.

Cheers!
Ramadan Kareen

Comments

Popular Posts